Search This Blog

Loading...

About Me

Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

(somewhat) Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies

I'm on a mission (like so many of us homemakers!) to feed my family - healthier!!

Our favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe is one that my great-grandma used to make, passed on to my grandma....etc!

They are yummy, but not the healthiest. This weekend, I made them - the WHOLE batch (keep in mind: catholic, farming community = lots of kiddos!!) and I made them a little more healthy!!

The original recipe is below, with my "healthier" substitutions in italics:

3 cups white sugar
3 cups brown sugar
4 cups shortening (I use half solid shortening and half butter)
12 eggs (YES, TWELVE!!)










2 teaspoons salt
3 teaspoons vanilla
4 teaspoons baking soda dissolved in 2 cups hot water
4 packages chocolate chips - I used 2 packages and added about 2-3 cups of walnuts
12-14 cups white flour - I used about 7 cups white flour, 2 cups pastry flour (100% wheat flour ground extra fine), 3 cups oatmeal and 3-5 cups wheat flour - this is a recipe that you mix until it "feels" right!

Cream sugars and shortening, add eggs, water, salt and flour. Hand mix in chocolate chips and nuts. Bake at 350 degrees until lightly browned.

See all the nuts and chips - oh and by the way, that's Tupperware's LARGEST bowl!!!












I baked about 5 dozen of these for now.....









.....and scooped and froze THREE TRAYS to make later....simply put on a sheet - frozen - and bake until done!











Linked with Thrifty Thursday and Ultimate Recipe Swap

4 comments:

  1. Wow that's a lot of cookies! Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious!!

    Here from Ultimate Recipe Swap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking what Angie said. That is a lot of cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy, these look good! Chocolate chip cookies are my favorite!
    http://www.inspired2cook.com/

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE to hear from you - feel free to leave a comment!