Search This Blog

Loading...

About Me

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Cloth Grocery Bags - good....or not?

I love them. I use them ALL the time - for EVERYTHING!! (library, grocery shopping, piano lessons....etc!)

But, I was shocked - horrified, really - when I heard that they may not be good to use - say WHAT??!!

Here's the scoop: make sure to wash them - frequently. This is the problem: if you don't wash them then you are (possibly) giving bacteria the chance to grow and thus contaminating other foods. So, the simple solution is to wash your bags!




--- @ WiseStamp Signature. Get it now

Linked with WFMW

8 comments:

  1. It seems like common sense but also something easily forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something that I actually don't do and need to. Thanks for the easy reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! I just heard this myself! Now I spray the insides with bleach cleaner, let them sit, and hose them down. I'm going to start putting the cloth ones through the wash.
    One thing I never put in these bags is meat because of the contamination problem. But we also have to remember nasty things like e-coli come from other sources, like vegetables. Geesh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJuly 14, 2010

    We have a red one (in contrast to our other green ones) that is used just for meat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally didn't think about that! Oh my goodness! Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good point! I throw mine in the laundry once in a while, and I'm always surprised how much cleaner they look--should do it more often!

    This is something to think about when reusing disposable grocery bags, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i wash mine as part of my "cloth napkin/ dish rag load" gives me a nice full load

    ReplyDelete
  8. We never put meat in our cloth bags - we reuse plastic bags for meat.

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE to hear from you - feel free to leave a comment!