Search This Blog

Loading...

About Me

Powered by Blogger.

Friday, October 8, 2010

Pumpkin Pie and more

We love pies - homemade crusts, homemade pumpkin pie filling - nothing is better on cold fall winter days.

Our favorite recipe for pie filling is a cream cheese-based filling that Bakerella uses in her Pumpkin Pie Bites. Go ahead...look, you know you want to - just come back when you are done!

We have made the mini pumpkin pies, which the girls and I love to make, but we have also used the filling in regular-sized muffin tins as well as regular-sized pie tins as well. But they are no-holds-barred the best pies!

When making pies, I always make twice as much crust as I need. Why? Because then the children get their treat too. We call them Cinnamon Strips, but I have heard them called other things as well. My fondest memories are of Thanksgiving Dinners at my Grandma's house. Grandpa LOVED pecan pie and the day before Thanksgiving, my mom would make one to take over - but she always made a double crust so us kids could have Cinnamon Strips.

Without further ado:

I simply take that extra pie crust (pre-made works well too) and roll it out.

Cut into strips. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.

Bake at 400 degrees until edges are lightly browned.

Cool and eat.

Linked with Frugal Friday

1 comment:

  1. My mother used to do something similar with her pie crust, except she rolled it up. I think there was butter involved with the cinnamon and sugar, too. All I know is, I liked it better than the pie itself!

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE to hear from you - feel free to leave a comment!