Search This Blog

Loading...

About Me

Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Great Gift Idea For Any Age

This year we are mass producing rice packs. These are SO simple to make and are one of the most well-received gifts that we have given. 

The basic idea is this:
  • cut a piece of cotton material to the size of rice pack you want to make
  • sew three edges (I like to use my serger for this)
  • fill half full with rice
  • sew shut the last side
  • measure fleece to be 4 inches larger than rice pack (all the way around)
  • cut out corners (as shown in lower right corner of picture)
  • set rice pack in between both pieces of fleece
  • tie (top piece to bottom piece) all the way around
  • enjoy!!
Our 10 year old daughter ties a rice pack for her teacher.

*You may also add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to the center of the pack - this will make it smell nice while heating!

*These also work great to warm the sheets for a new baby before laying them down for the night!


This is the instruction sheet we included with each rice pack -the paper it was printed on was bought after Christmas last year for $1.50 for a pack of 35 papers - templates were free online.

 



Linked with Motivate Me Monday and Homemaker Monday

5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this. I'm not sure what to do with the strips. Do I tie knots together? Happy Christmas. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I found you at Keeping It Simple and I am loving your blog! I wanted to invite you to enter my $50 American Express giveaway and my link party that are both going on this week! Keep up the great blogging and happy holidays! -Dana

    http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/12/50-american-express-giveaway-ends.htm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda: Yep, just tie knots from the bottom to the top layer....if that makes sense!? I'm not sure how else to describe it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooo! Good idea! I love these! come link up to my Sew Crafty Party...

    http://wildflowersandwhimsy.blogspot.com/2010/12/startin-early-for-orphaned-no-more.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun idea! I wouldn't have thought about doing them with fleece on the outside and doing the tie blanket type of thing.

    I made a couple of these (as larger rectangles and with a double layer of muslin), and then I used a cotton fabric to make a pillow case (per se).

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE to hear from you - feel free to leave a comment!